Home About Erin Featured Blog Roll Advertise

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Living Room ~ Before & After

The living room has been one of my favorite transformations other than the kitchen.  When we first looked at this house I can remember thinking "That is the first thing I'm changing!"  This room needed some gorgeous built ins!  One of the things that sold us on this house was all of the woodwork.  The crown molding, the windows framed out and the thick base boards.  So, when the walls on either side of the fireplace were finished out with dry wall shelving, I was a little confused.  To me it screamed Fred Flinstone or adobe style.  So, away to Pinterest I flew for inspiration.  I found it at a blog called Forever Cottage.  Her built ins inspired me so much.  We tweaked it here and there and couldn't be prouder of them!
 
 


~ Before ~
 
 
 
 
 
 
We ended up taking the mantle down.  That was a hard decision for me.  I love mantels!!  I mean, how are we going to hang our stockings at Christmas?  In the end, the husband "needed" the flat screen over the fireplace.  I do love it there.  But, in order for us to watch it from the couch we had to lower it, which meant loose the mantel.  So, away it went. 
 



 
 
I started to collect globes.  I had a rule that  I wouldn't spend more than $25 for a one.  Pricing on globes are so random to me.  You can go to a garage sale and find a vintage globe for $5.  Then, go to an antique mall and find the very same globe for $125!!  That's just crazy!
 



 
 
 



 
 
My hutch from my old dining room fits just perfectly in this spot. 
 



 
 
Most everything in the built ins I had.  My goal was to get some very old cool looking books.  I wouldn't spend more than $5 on a book when I went to antique places.  On average I would spend $2.50  There were some I drooled over but I just couldn't justify $35 on a book.  No way!
 



 
 
 
 
 
 
Hope you enjoyed the tour!  Here is a list of some of the things in the room.
 
Rug ~ Tuesday Morning
Pillows on couch ~ Pottery Barn
Pillows on chairs ~ Home Goods
Hutch ~ Estate Sale
Lamp in Built in ~ Home Goods
 
I'm linking up at these Parties :
 
 
 



26 comments:

  1. Your builtins look amazing, really beautiful and definitely better. Your living room is beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they look great! I love the beadboard on the back of them. You were so right to think they needed to be there. Love all the choices you made for accessories. The little touches of silver look nice in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab! I love a good before & after!

    xo Kristle

    Stop by, say hi and stay awhile:

    http://www.lavitabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Erin! I love what you did with your built-ins! The new version looks amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - they look fantastic. So much better now. Love the beadboard look too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, this is GORGEOUS!! It's as it should have been from the start, if you ask me - I don't know what they were thinking with the "before" photos! Such a beautiful, cozy and inviting room - I'm guessing you get a lot of use out of this space, it's so welcoming!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my April Project Party - I will be featuring your space next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like the bead board of your built ins. Like this look much better than the old. I am sure it was hard to give up the mantel, they are such fun to style. Still, I have to say that visually I don't miss it in the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done! And that carpet is to die for!~
    Maggie
    Crunchy Diva

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the new built-ins and the pretty displays...love the whole room!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your home decoration ,living room looks awesome ,I'm new to your blog & i just love it ,I also love your hair color .xoxo .zohreh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Erin it is just gorgeous!!! Love everything about it.
    Thanks for sharing!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful - I love your collections, especially the globes.

    I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has living room makeovers and organisation as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don’t bother with fussy drapes. In fact, if privacy is not an issue at your home, you have permission to skip curtains altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How you just did that? The new arrangement is really great. You have a very intuitive and creative mind in coming up with this design. I love the color combination, the furniture, and everything in it. If I were to choose a designer for my living room, I would opt to choose you.

    Annie | Online PhD UK Programs

    ReplyDelete
  15. ERIN-I have that exact lamp in my bedroom on my dresser :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another great room and I really like the built-ins. That is a great globe collection too. I would love a wall of built ins for our living room, or a really great large hutch that I could use as a book case.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you changed the builtins, and I LOVE the globe collection. unfortunately my little home doesn't have space for such a thing, but I am loving on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All it needed was little touch-ups to make a change in your living room. Maybe you can try to rearrange the decors as well, or remove some to create some breathing space. It's your living room, meaning, most of your family activities will be held there, so you need to invest on space.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are very creative. I loved the way you have installed two built in cupboards on both sides of the fireplace and have filled the gap between them and the ceiling with the globes. It is a unique design.
    Carpet Cleaning Finchley

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are very creative. I loved the way you have installed two built in cupboards on both sides of the fireplace and have filled the gap between them and the ceiling with the globes. It is a unique design.
    Carpet Cleaning Finchley

    ReplyDelete
  21. They looks amazing! love the whole room, thanks for sharing.Leather Button Beds

    ReplyDelete
  22. absolutely lovely!!!! What kind of wood floor did you use and the color?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you mind sharing the name or brand of the rug in the living room? I love it and I think it would look great in my living room! Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! these are wonderful tips. Thanks for sharing them with us. Please visit http://goo.gl/ZOD6HF

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!!!